5 Tbsp. – Coarse Sea salt
2 Tbsp. – Whole Peppercorns
3 Tbsp. – Fresh Rosemary
1 Tbsp. – Ground Cumin
1⁄2 Tbsp. – crushed red pepper
As Needed- Vegetable oil
10- Beef Short ribs, bone on (1 lb. Each)
2.5- oz Carrots, small dice
2.5oz- Celery, small dice
5 oz- Onions, small dice
1⁄2-Bottle Monarch of the Glen (Pentamere Winery) 1⁄2 -Cup Red wine Vinegar
1- Quart Chicken Stock
5- Tbsp. Honey
3- oz Light Brown Sugar
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- Combine the first 5 ingredients into a spice grinder.
- Lightly coat the beef short ribs with oil and roll ribs into the ground spice mixture to coat.
- On the stove heat a large roasting pan with enough oil just to coat the pan on medium high heat.
- Add the short ribs and sear both sides, 5 minutes on each side and remove into another pan.
- Pour off the excess oil and add the carrots, celery, and onions and sauté lightly for 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the vinegar and chicken stock and reduce for 5 minutes.
- Ladle the reduced liquid onto the beef covering them half way. Cover with foil and place into the oven till the ribs are tender (30- 60 minutes).
- With the remaining reduced liquid strain, and transfer to a small sauce pot adding the brown sugar, and honey and reduce by half.
- Mix cornstarch with a small amount of water and whisk into the reduce liquid to thicken.
- When beef is done serve with roasted garlic mash potatoes and ladle a small amount red wine reduction onto the beef.